Re: a method for bypassing cookie restrictions in web browsers

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Dave McKinney wrote:

> This does appear to be a known way of tracking web users without using
> cookies: http://sourcefrog.net/projects/meantime/

Yup, my apologies for this sort-of-false alert. The only excuse I can
offer is that I failed to find any related information during a routine
run of Google queries, and that the flaw is still very much alive

The problem is ineed known, both the use of ETags and Last-Modified
headers to store data, and the indirect variant I described later on. The
issue had been initially reported by Martin Pool here:

 Michal Zalewski * [http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx]
    Did you know that clones never use mirrors?