Re: [ISN] Microsoft upgrades IE flaw to critical after criticism

Forwarded from: joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Allow me to comment a little bit on this one:

> http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2002/1209msflaw.html
>
> By Joris Evers
> IDG News Service
> 12/09/02
>
> Microsoft raised the risk rating on a security flaw in Internet
> Explorer (IE) to "critical" after criticism prompted it to reexamine
> the issue, the company said Friday.

The company did hardly get 'prompted to reexamine the issue'. It got
told directly that it is wrong, on the edge of lying. In the words of
Thor Larholm on Bugtraq,

http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/302174/2002-11-30/2002-12-06/0

"It seems like Microsoft are deliberately downplaying the severity of
their vulnerabilities in an attempt to gain less bad press. It sure
would look bad to release 2 critical cumulative updates in just 2
weeks, but that is exactly what has been done. As it stands now, the
bulletin is released and most journalists willing to comment have
already noticed the "Moderate" label and the extensive list of
(incorrect) mitigating factors, and quite likely will not write
anything on just how severe this really is. I doubt most people care
to read the revisions to the bulletin that will come later."

It is possible that the article by nwfusion references another MS
Security bulletin, as MS chose to change the Severity Rating of some
bulletins lately. I lost track of IE patches some years ago, I am
afraid.

Trustworthy Bulletin Initiative might be the next step MS wants to take...

Regards,

Joerg

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org