[ISN] Feds Delay Launch of Cyber-Security Plan

By Dennis Fisher
December 19, 2002

The White House's cyber-security arm will not release the next draft
of its National Strategy to Secure Cyberspace by the end of the year,
as it had originally planned.

The President's Critical Infrastructure Protection Board, which
produced the strategy, is still going over the comments submitted this
fall on the original draft. No specific date has been set for the
release of the next version of the document.

"We're hoping to get it out there soon," said Tiffany Olson, deputy
chief of staff at the PCIPB in Washington. "There's no timetable, but
it'll be early next year."

The board released the first draft of the strategy in September, and
the public comment period lasted until mid-November. A number of
security vendors and other software and hardware vendors submitted
comments. Olson said the board now is working to find a way to release
all of the comments it received without identifying their authors.

"We got a lot of great comments and a lot of interaction, which shows
people care," she said. "We're trying to find a process to release the
comments publicly. That's our hope."

Richard Clarke, chairman of the PCIPB, held a series of town hall
meetings around the country to discuss the strategy and give the
public a chance to voice its concerns.

Olson also disputed a comment in a report released this week that said
the draft national strategy had never been approved by the entire
PCIPB. The comment was part of a report done by the Advisory Panel to
Assess Domestic Response Capabilities for Terrorism Involving Weapons
of Mass Destruction, which was established by Congress.

"I have no idea what they meant by that," Olson said. "I know that the
full board has met several times and no agency has ever disputed [the
strategy]."

The report was highly critical of the Bush administration's
information security efforts in general and specifically criticized
the national strategy as being "a small step indeed."

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org