Re: [ISN] Interview with Bob Toxen

Forwarded from: Robert G. Ferrell <rgferrell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

At 05:26 AM 12/17/02 -0600, InfoSec News wrote:

> One of my original ideas was hacking the kernel so that instead of
> the erase character being a "#" character, erasing would generate
> the now universal backspace-space-backspace sequence to obliterate
> the now erased character. I did the same for line erase, replacing
> the "@" character with however many backspace-space-backspace
> sequences were needed to erase the entire line on the screen. Doug
> Merritt helped with this work.
>
> I created the "lock" program to lock a terminal as a convenience
> over logging out to maintain security. I started enhancing the Unix
> Version 6 shell before Bill Joy started on csh and Dr. Bourne did
> the Bourne Shell. Doug Merritt added vi-like editing to the shell.
> All of these things now are universal on Unix, Linux, and even
> Windows but we came up with the ideas.

Those of you who follow ISN will be (painfully) aware that I tend to
slip into rant mode when people misuse the term 'hacker,' at least as
I see it. I thought this would be a good opportunity to illustrate
just what hackers are in my world view.

Bob Toxen is a true hacker.  This is what hackers do.

Have a great weekend.

RGF

Robert G. Ferrell
rgferrell@xxxxxxxxxxxx

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org