From: Robert Graham
To: bojidar_tzendov; ISSForum@xxxxxxx
Sent: 15/06/03 18:37
Subject: Re: [ISSForum] How to test Sensors?

In RealSecure 7, take a look at the "SensorStatistics" event that
appeared in
XPU 20.13.

This event is triggered every 15 minutes, and contains a count of the
number of
packets seen. Look at the "event details" for SensorStatistics in order
to see
this counts.

It also shows what happening in the TCP state tracking tables. For
example, if
you are getting large counts for the "tcp.misseddata_acks" or
"tcp.onesided",
then there is likely a problem in the way you've tapped into traffic.
And, of
course, if you aren't seeing many "ip.packets", then you likewise
haven't
tapped correctly into traffic. (Note that if you aren't seeing any
SensorStatistics, then you aren't seeing any packets at all).

Once you've made sure that this is corrent, then go to a web-browser and
type
in a hostile URL. The traditional one is "http://victim/cgi-bin/phf";.
Make sure
that the packets in question are actually supposed to be going across
the wire
in question. We spend a lot of time with customers who do their test
wrong. For
example, a customer might type a hostile URL, then realize the IDS
wasn't
plugged in, and then the second time, they don't realize the web-browser
has
cached the first request.

--- bojidar_tzendov <bojidar_tzendov@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> How to test sensors if I have a pilot installation?
>
> Is there any procedure and tools?
>
> Can anyone send me docs and tools or at least urls?
>
> Thanks in advance
> bojidar
>
> Bojidar Tzendov
> Area Sales Manager
> Test Solutions
> mobile: +359 88 605 365
> phone: +359 2 969 60 60
> fax: +359 2 969 60 69

This e-mail and any attachment is for authorised use by the intended recipient(s) only.  It may contain proprietary material, confidential information and/or be subject to legal privilege.  It should not be copied, disclosed to, retained or used by, any other party.  If you are not an intended recipient then please promptly delete this e-mail and any attachment and all copies and inform the sender.  Thank you.