RE: [ISSForum] IS 7.0 scan status :Queued

Title: RE: [ISSForum] IS 7.0 scan status :Queued

All,

In my experiences with 7.0, things have been a bit shaky, but when I read the directions thoroughly and followed them to a letter, things worked well.  Some things that I have found with both 6.2.1 and 7.0, related to this thread:

1) If the scanner application (ISS_WINNT.exe) is open on the remote machine, the scanner will stay queued, or will error out, giving the error code 0xC72C100A.

2) Sometimes the scanner during installation does not grab both the event collector and application server keys.  This will either cause this problem if the app server key is not present, or if the event collector key is not present, the scan will execute properly but the data will never end up in the SP database.

3) I have only scanned 1/4 Class B-sized networks when performing discovery.  Any more and the application hangs often, giving the popular 0xC72C100A error message.

4) I've used the policy converter before and it works well.  There are two issues that I've found.  One problem is if you have a standalone scanner (like my desktop) to convert the policies, be sure that it is at the same XPU as the scanners.  If they don't match, then the policy won't work.  Also, if you are porting over hand-made policies for specific platforms, be sure to turn off the Dynamic Check Assignment in the Options section of the policy.  While DCA seems like a really good idea, I'm not sold on it yet.

5) I also use the shutdown.exe utility on the Win2k admin disk to schedule a daily reboot.  I've found that after a few days' worth of scans, the application becomes somewhat unstable, yielding the 0xC72C100A error message when the executable fails to close.

Best of luck,

Jason Bowen
Senior Consultant
Protiviti Inc.