RE: [ISSForum] SiteProtector automatic update

Title: SiteProtector automatic update
I would speculate that this behavior is a default behavior as a result of the volatile nature of the Automatic updates that have a nasty tendency to destroy all of the working components or Site Protector.  After endless weeks of playing with the Automatic updates on hundreds of installs and reinstalls for Site Protector, almost every time the Site Protector Core Updates have blown up the working model and I was forced to reinstall.  Unless my experiences are completely isolated, consider this behavior a blessing in disguise as it prevents any inadvertent mishaps such as any automatic update taking place without any warning or prior consent and then coming in the AM to find a non-working and potentially non-fixable Site Protector application.
-----Original Message-----
From: Polinger Attila [mailto:APoling@xxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2003 12:13 AM
To: 'issforum@xxxxxxx'
Subject: [ISSForum] SiteProtector automatic update

Dear all,

We have set up a pilot system of a SiteProtector Basic installation: One SP server and four clients (one Server Sensor, three Desktop Protection clients). This generally works as expected.

We have had problems with automatic updating (XPUs and service releases), though, it does not seem to work (from the beginning) . As we learned, the update can be configured in the SP console in the SiteProtector Core (righ-click, the select Edit Properties, select "XPress and Product Updates"), we did not change anything in this window except we have set the proxy information.

I did not find any clue in the logs why the automatic update did not happen, in fact, I did not find any reference to this process at all. We had to run the manual updater tool to download the XML files and even downloaded all the XPUs and service releases from ISS site directly (to update SP to 1.2). Had to manually copy these to a new directory called "update" in the "Program files\ISS\RealSecure Siteprotector\Application Server\XPU" directory (I suppose this new directory would have been created if the automatic update had worked).

Only then could we see the "Available Updates: Yes" in the SiteProtector console for the appropriate sensors, and could perform the update as described in the ISS manual or XPU readme.

Otherwise I can browse the internet problemfree under the same Windows account that I use with SiteProtector from the same computer.

Can someone help me how to troubleshoot this malfunction ?

Attila Polinger
IS
MOL Hungarian Oil and Gas Co.