Re: [ISSForum] Taps supporting traffic aggregation

Hi Ken,

I guess you speak about the IDS Balancer because Toplayer don't have taps supporting traffic aggregation ( maybe they will ...) but I'm not interested in load-balancing traffic between multiple sensor.

The goal with taps supporting traffic aggregation is to simplify IDS architecture and to save cost:

With normal taps, you need to use Network Sensor with integrated full-duplex segment monitoring or to use layer 7 switches (IDS balancer for example) to aggregage traffic for your Network Sensor. Now, you can connect your Network Sensor directly to the port aggregator tap.

I would be interested to have your feedback on using such devices and especially if they really deconflict collisions as it can be described in the datasheets (taps are normally passive devices)

Thierry