From: issforum-admin@xxxxxxx [mailto:issforum-admin@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Thierry Bôle
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 6:31 PM
To: Ken Kempster
Cc: issforum@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ISSForum] Taps supporting traffic aggregation

Hi Ken,

I guess you speak about the IDS Balancer because Toplayer don't have
taps supporting traffic aggregation ( maybe they will ...) but I'm not
interested in load-balancing traffic between multiple sensor.

The goal with taps supporting traffic aggregation is to simplify IDS
architecture and to save cost:

With normal taps, you need to use Network Sensor with integrated
full-duplex segment monitoring or to use layer 7 switches (IDS balancer
for example) to aggregage traffic for your Network Sensor. Now, you can
connect your Network Sensor directly to the port aggregator tap.

I would be interested to have your feedback on using such devices and
especially if they really deconflict collisions as it can be described
in the datasheets (taps are normally passive devices)

Thierry