From: "Stephen Cooper" <Stephen.Cooper@xxxxxxx>
To: <issforum@xxxxxxx>; <Ken@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; <tbole@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 4:03 PM
Subject: Re: [ISSForum] Taps supporting traffic aggregation

> Taps dont consolidate, switches do. You need both.
>
> We are using Finisar Taps successfully with Cisco 2900 series switches
dedicated to traffic consolidation.

> [...]
> > Selling to your networking
> > team that the device will not become a bottle neck or failure point is
> > difficult at best.
> > Also, if you're looking to do RS kills,  you will need another
> > physical path to send them
> > when using taps.  When  you're comparing the pros and cons of
> > deploying them,  you need to factor in
> > the criticality of the network you will be tapping into.
> >
> > If cost is a concern,  then taps are probably a good approach but I
> > would confirm that
> > the physical infrastructure is designed so that a physical failure of
> > the tap does not affect
> > traffic flow; multi-path.
> >
> > It has been my experience that the best approach is to design your
> > security infrastructure
> > so that if there were a total failure of your monitoring environment,
> > it will not impact production networking/traffic flow.
> > This is typically the more expensive approach but the safest one.
> >
> > Ken.
> >

> > Thierry Bôle wrote:
> >
> > | Hi Ken,
> > |
> > | I guess you speak about the IDS Balancer because Toplayer don't
> > | have taps supporting traffic aggregation ( maybe they will ...) but
> > | I'm not interested in load-balancing traffic between multiple
> > | sensor.
> > |
> > | The goal with taps supporting traffic aggregation is to simplify
> > | IDS architecture and to save cost:
> > |
> > | With normal taps, you need to use Network Sensor with integrated
> > | full-duplex segment monitoring or to use layer 7 switches (IDS
> > | balancer for example) to aggregage traffic for your Network Sensor.
> > |  Now, you can connect your Network Sensor directly to the port
> > | aggregator tap.
> > |
> > | I would be interested to have your feedback on using such devices
> > | and especially if they really deconflict collisions as it can be
> > | described in the datasheets (taps are normally passive devices)
> > |
> > | Thierry
> > |

> > | Ken Kempster wrote:
> > |

> > | Have you looked at TopLayer?  I've tested the product a few years
> > | ago and it looked good for aggregating ports/traffic, load balance
> > | between multiple sensors and still retain an aggregated port for
> > | your sniffer.
> > |
> > | Ken.

> > | with ISS | products (with the capability to mirror the traffic only
> > | on one | link) ? | | I'm aware of the bandwidth limitations we can
> > | have: if the 2 | network ports are operating at 100mbps and the IDS
> > | port is | operating at 100mbps as well, then under sustained
> > | aggregate | bandwidth of greater than 100mbps, packets will get
> > | dropped. | | I guess it should cause no problems with dropped
> > | packets if I'm | monitoring internet links with low utilisation. |
> > | | Any feedback appreciated. | | Thierry | |
> > | _______________________________________________ ISSForum mailing |

> Disclaimer
>
> This e-mail message shall not be construed as legally binding on the Bank
for International Settlements (BIS). As internet communications are not
secure, the BIS does not accept responsibility for the content of this
message.

> This message is intended only for the recipient(s) named above. Any
unauthorized disclosure, use or dissemination, either in whole or in part,
of this message is prohibited. If you have received this message in error,
please inform the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this
message and any attachments thereto from your system.