Re: [ISSForum] Database Scanner for Oracle

Hi Eduardo,

I had a situation like that months ago, and, after several communications
with people from ISS, and tests I did by myself, the conclusion is only
one:

You need one Database Scanner license for each particular database instance
on your DB Server. It means, if you have 5 instances then you need 5
Database Scanner licenses.

I received the explanation attached below, where apparently there is a way
to configure all the DB instances through a single TCP Port, but in the
real world it didn't  work for me. Nothing change, you need a DB Scanner
license per DB instance.

I hope this help.

Best regards,

Jovan Gonzalez Silva

Este correo y cualquier archivo anexo son confidenciales y para uso
exclusivo de la persona o entidad de destino. Esta comunicación puede
contener información protegida por el privilegio de cliente-abogado. Si
usted ha recibido este correo por error, equivocación u omisión queda
estrictamente prohibido la utilización, copia, reimpresión, reenvió o
cualquier acción tomada sobre este correo y puede ser penalizada
legalmente. En tal caso, favor notificar en forma inmediata al remitente.

information. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing
or copying of this email or any action taken in reliance on this e-mail is
strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Tech Notes:

The description below it's the way Oracle environment "Best Practice"
works, so is pretty technical

if you have a DBMS Oracle which controls multiple instances or data bases,
say data bases A, B and C and a client wants to connect simultaneous to
these data bases or instances: A, B and C.

The client makes the connection to the data bases or instances through
something called SID identifier, This identifier is configured in a file
called TNSNAMES.ORA (at the client), within that file is made the
association to each one of the instances, by IP address or Server name and
TCP port.

The communication definition is established in two files: LISTENER.ORA (at
the server) and TNSNAMES.ORA ( at the client).

the LISTENER.ORA is where one defines the ports that is going to use and
associate each port with the name of the data base or instance.

The TNSNAMES.ORA is where one defines the instance that the client wants to
connect to.

One can have a single port for all the instances, but it is recommended to
have different ports per instances.

A good practice is, have three different port per instance to make each
data base independent, and avoid saturation of a port

So ISS Database Scanner is gonna need more than three licenses to scan the
client's Oracle environment.

                      "Eduardo Palacio
                      Osorio"                  To:      <issforum@xxxxxxx>
                      <epalacio@asarsa         cc:
                      .com>                    Subject: [ISSForum] Database Scanner for Oracle
                      Sent by:
                      issforum-bounces
                      @iss.net

                      15/06/2004 06:45
                      p.m.

Hi everybody:
I thought that the license for this product was by server, just like with
SQL and Sybase however for the second time this month, with two different
companies, I have run into the problem of filling a license for 5 servers
with just the first one that happens to have more than 5 Instances.
Has anybody else run into this?
Do you have to buy a license for every instance in Oracle?
Am I doing something wrong or else, there is something different I have to
do when running scans in Oracle?
I appreciate any light you may give me in this matter.
Thanks and Regards for you all

Eduardo Palacio