RE: [ISSForum] Admin Password

There are a number of different ways to do root password recovery on a
Linux system. Since the proventia's run RedHat, use the procedure
below......

You must be physically in front of the system. Reboot the
computer(usually ctrl-alt-delete will do it safely) and after POST, the
system will come to a boot loader screen. ISS Proventia use grub as the
boot loader, so you may see a menu in which to select what kernel you
want to boot. Select the kernel to boot and then hit 'e'. This will take
you into a mini-editor where you can change the line that's used to boot
the system. What we want to do is to pass an additional argument to the
kernel, telling it what runlevel we want to boot into. This will
override the default runlevel setting in /etc/inittab.

So after hitting 'e', we cursor down to the line that starts with
'kernel' and cursor all the way to the end of the line. Put a space
after any existing kernel arguments and type the number '1' (without the
single quotes). Hit enter here to accept the change and you're back at
the grub boot screen. Then hit 'b' to boot to this line. The system will
boot into  runlevel 1 (single user mode) and you will be dropped to a
root prompt without being prompted for the password. From here you can
type 'passwd' to change the root password. When you're done, type 'exit'
and the system will boot to the default runlevel.

For more help, see

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-guide/s1-
rescuemode-booting-single.html

Hope that helps....