RE: [ISSForum] problem with system scanner log file

Dawne,

The Logit action causes an event to be written to the system's application
eventlog.  $file is used to include the name of the Policy that was run.

I have pasted below the help text for Logit, I hope this helps.

Configuring the Logit Action
----------------------------
As supplied with System Scanner, the command for the logit action is as
follows:

logevent /i W /f "$file"

logevent procedure
This is the procedure logevent followed by two parameters:

/i (importance), which currently shows the value W (warning)

/f (the policy that triggered the event), followed by the substitution
variable that will be replaced with the name of the file when the action
occurs.

In this example, you will change the importance to information, and add the
name of the destination host (the host the log file you want to write to
resides on) and the message text that you want to appear in the log.

The parameter for destination host is /d.

The parameter for message text is /m.

Therefore, you should edit the command to read:

logevent /i I /d hostname /f "$file" /m "The example event will be logged."

This is the procedure logevent followed now by four parameters:

/i is the importance, now I for Information

/d is the destination hostname. You must replace the word hostname with the
name of the destination host.

/f is the policy that triggered the alert, still using the substitution
variable

/m is the message text. You should replace the text in quotation marks with
text that is logical for the alert you are creating.

Nick Connor
Assuria Limited