Re: Line Breaks in OpenPGP ASCII armor

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, wolfgang@redtenbacher.de wrote:

> 1. RFC 2440 and its newest draft revision specify in section 6 that
>    Radix-64 encoding is identical to MIME Base64 encoding per RFC
>    2045. RFC 2045 (and RFC 822) explicitely specify that the line
>    break character(s) to be used is/are CRLF.

It is the task of a a MUA to convert line endings to network standard
format.  OpenPGP is not a protocol designed with only mail in mind.

>    (a) PGP 5.0i for DOS and PGP 6.5.1i for Windows use the line break
>        CRLF.

Because that is the (ugly) DOS convention.

>    (b) PGP 5.0i for Linux and GnuPG 1.0.1 for Linux use LF alone as
>        line break.

GNU/Linux is based on Unix and therefore we have these lineendings
here.

>    (c) GnuPG 1.0.1 for Windows uses a mixture: All line breaks except
>        the one preceding the "END PGP MESSAGE" line are CRLF (= DOS
>        style), and the line break preceding "END PGP MESSAGE" is LF
>        alone (= Unix style).

This should go as a bug report to the GnuPG developers :-)
BTW, didn't you noticed these big fat letters saying that this is
an alpha version and that it may work or not.  It is not good to take
such software for your tests.

I'll fix it,

  Werner

--