Re: subkey binding sigs q

On Mon, Aug 28, 2000 at 03:33:25PM +0800, Erron Criddle wrote:
> Hal,
>
> At 01:00 AM 25/08/2000 -0700, hal@finney.org wrote:
> >Erron writes:
> >

> > > PSS: Are public and secret keyrings supposed to interoperate with other
> > > versions of OpenPGP?
> >
> >No, OpenPGP does not specify keyring formats.
>
> If OpenPGP does not specify keyring formats, then what is:
>
> a) 11.2 related to?
>
> b) A tag 12 Trust packet packet related to (mentions keyrings)?

It is a small but significant difference between key packet and export
format which OpenPGP *does* specify, and whatever internal
representation and storage used by the application for keyrings.

When exporting a key, it must use a specific format and if it wants to
export extra information like trust, there is a way to do that.

For example, I am working on a Palm version, and will need to prepend
indexing information in a private format and limit records to 64k -
the internal format will have packets but they won't be just the
literal key packet.

For larger apps, e.g. keyservers, it makes sense to use a real
database indexed by several query database-keys.