Re: draft-ietf-openpgp-rfc2440bis-06.txt

Jon Callas <jon@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> "Bodo Moeller" <moeller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> Here's the yearly reminder on the OpenPGP key expiration protocol failure.
>>
>> http://www.imc.org/ietf-openpgp/mail-archive/msg02374.html
>> http://www.imc.org/ietf-openpgp/mail-archive/msg02848.html
>> http://www.imc.org/ietf-openpgp/mail-archive/msg03693.html

> My opinion (still) is that it isn't a bug, it's a feature. I want someday to
> make keys that have short-lived self-signatures on them that are regularly
> renewed, [...]

You are talking about subkeys (encryption subkeys, presumably -- in
the case of signature keys, you can simply stop using them without
having announced so in advance).  If you want to regularly renew your
subkeys, then set appropriate expiration times for these subkeys.

I am talking about main keys, not subkeys.  Simply don't set an
expiration time for the signing key if you want to be able to continue
to use it indefinitely.

--
Bodo Möller <moeller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
PGP http://www.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/TI/Mitarbeiter/moeller/0x36d2c658.html