Re: Critical bits and notations

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 09:28:36PM -0700, "Hal Finney" wrote:

> In my opinion, the critical bit on a notation packet should mean
> that the implementation needs to recognize that particular notation,
> not just notation packets in general.  Otherwise we would have no way
> of expressing the requirement that the particular notation packet be
> understood.

That makes good sense, and I agree.  However, the text in the draft
doesn't exactly say this (and rather implies the opposite).

I suggest adding this sentence (or similar) to the end of section
5.2.3.16. Notation Data:

  When used on a notation subpacket, the critical bit refers to that
  particular notation, and not to notation subpackets in general.

David