Re: [openpgp] 4880bis: Compression (was: details of 4880bis work)

Can someone explain the reasoning behind deprecating compression ?  Im neutral on the idea, just trying to understand the benefits of getting rid of it beyond simplifying the processing of the packets.

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 1:51 PM Werner Koch <wk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 15:38, singpolyma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx said:
>>g) remove compression entirely
>
> Is the idea that compression can be handled by another format (xz,
> probably) and from the OpenPGP perspective it's just "binary"?  I

I guess so.

However I see a problem with the removal of compression: Almost all keys
have preferences for compression and most messages are using
compression.  Thus all implementations will need to keep on supporting
de-compression which is actually the more complicated part.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner

--
Die Gedanken sind frei.  Ausnahmen regelt ein Bundesgesetz.