Re: [openpgp] Fingerprints

On Wed, 2015-04-15 at 16:21 -0400, David Shaw wrote:
> Using a string is fine, but even with numbers, there is no rule that
> the number has to be a single byte.  After enough years and algorithms
> added, it could be "100000:ABCDEF0123..."
But numbers would make problems if we're using the binary representation
of the fingerprint (i.e. not the ASCII/UTF8 version of it).
How should one know where the algo type ends, 0x0 can't be used since it
may be part of the number.
So it can only be done if the algo type is defined to be a (null
terminated) string.

Cheers,
Chris.