Re: [suse-security] SuSE Security Announcement: samba (SuSE-SA:2003:025)

Hello,

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 11:57:19AM +0200, Martin Köhling wrote:
[snip]
> But I think this is more of a cosmetic issue: "smbfs start" is just a
> dummy anyway (at least on SuSE 7.2), so the missing return status doesn't
> change anything...
> Similar with "smbfs stop": it unmounts the filesystems but it ignores
> any errors.
>
> (The script looks rather "hacky" to me...)

It is fixed with Samba 2.2.5 as from UnitedLinux 1.0, SuSE Linux
Enterprise Server 8, SuSE Linux 8.1. The smbfs init script is enhanced
to use /etc/fstab or due to privacy of passwords /etc/samba/smbfstab to
mount filesystems of type smbfs while booting the system. Errors are no
longer ignored.

The problem with the smbfs init script exists for SuSE Linux 7.1, 7.2,
7.3, 8.0

The missing sourcing of /etc/rc.status is a stupid mistake and is fixed
for all versions. But I expect that we don't revoke the last version and
the fix for the smbfs init script bug will be available with the next
update.

There are two different current solutions of the problem:

a) You could remove the smbfs service if you don't use it.

This is possible with the YaST runlevel editor or on the command line
with

insserv -r smbfs

b) Fix the smbfs init script by hand

Just add the following two lines

. /etc/rc.status
rc_reset

direct after the leading comment lines at the top.

Please appologize this stupid bug.
--
Lars Müller
SuSE Linux AG, Deutschherrnstraße 15-19, 90429 Nürnberg, Germany