Re: [suse-security] pptpd and Windows XP client?

Radko L wrote:

Hello guys,

I want to ask you one question about VPN server.
I have installed and configureted an VPN pptpd server
and it seems work OK with Windows 2000 client machine
but when I tried to connect with XP client machine
user are able to log in and everithink seems OK
but when tried to load some site by http
a fit part of site loaded and nothink else happned
at that time in log messages on VPN server I found:

kernel: Not enough space to encrypt packet:
1404<1404+4!

have you got any idea about that?

How do you make work with windows XP client?

http://search.yahoo.com

Hello,
I have exactly the same problem and I found at http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/howto-diagnosis.phtml#encrypt_space
the following solution:

*Problem*: following message appears in pppd logs
Not enough space to encrypt packet: 1004<1004+4!

*Solution*: patch ppp_generic.c using the patches in this project's CVS repository.

The patches are in mppe/kernel/kernel, and are ppp_generic.ccp_max_option_length.patch <http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/pptpclient/mppe/kernel/kernel/ppp_generic.ccp_max_option_length.patch?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup> and ppp_generic.header_length.patch <http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/pptpclient/mppe/kernel/kernel/ppp_generic.header_length.patch?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup>.

Carsten Grammes found that the SuSE 8 kernel (2.4.18-4GB) has MPPE support, but shows this problem. The patches above solved the problem. [2002-08-23]

The Problem seems to exist since SuSE 8.0 it exists still at my 8.1 SuSE.
I have no experience in compiling my own kernel. That's why i haven't tested this.