Re: [suse-security] YOU on 7.3 Pro kills my server (how do I get updates, if the updatetool needs as much cpu as M$ products?)

Markus Gaugusch wrote:
On Jul 2, Philippe Vogel <filiaap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yesterday I tried several updates with yast2 Online Update on my SuSE
7.3 Pro Gameserver. Unfortunately the box died everytime because of a
Load of 1.63 and later did not react anymore. I switched to fou4s and
didn't have any problems with that.
Why is Yast2 so CPU-intensive?
I've asked this question several times, and never got an appropriate
answer.

YOU versions prior to SuSE 8.2 download every single patch description when you run it (even though you may have most of them on disk already.) That is why they are so slow. I believe they use rsync to update the patch descs. on 8.2.

I don't recall high loads when I use it on machines with 7.3, you may just have a slow machine. Try doing the update in the text console.
--
     Rafael