Re: [suse-security] Re: Problems with a Mail Server and SuSEfirewall2

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, remote wrote:

> > Sometimes this is not possible and the mail is saved in a
> > queue. Check the SENDMAIL_ARGS parameter in
> > /etc/sysconfig/sendmail for something like "-q30m".
>
> You were right, "-q30m" ist given as an argument in /etc/sysconfig/sendmail.
> So, does this argument reroute outgoing mail if there is a problem with the
> ISP`s mail server ? If so, what can I do to flush the resulting queue from
> time to time, say once a week ?

This is just what "-q..." is for.  The argument "-q30m" tells sendmail
to flush the queue every 30 minutes (e.g. look for mail, that have
been queued for some reason or another and retry to send any message
found in the queue).

So, if this argument was actually given to sendmail before the reboot,
then its strange, that you didn't see any try to send the mail.
sendmail (in the usual configuration) would have send a warning to the
sender if it still failed to send the message after a couple of hours
and would have given up to send the message after some days.  But this
only happens while sendmail tries to resend the message, so if your
users didn't see any warning about problems to send mail, it's likely
that sendmail actually did not retry to send the mail.  (Check your
logs!)

So maybe, due to some problem, that i'm unable to analyse from here,
the "-q30m" didn't make its way to sendmail's command line, although
it was given in /etc/sysconfig/sendmail?

--
                   Rolf Krahl <rolf.krahl@xxxxxxx>