Re: [suse-security] Running lilo after kernel update ?

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 11:59:06AM -0800, Bill.Light@xxxxxx wrote:
> please execute /sbin/lilo after installing
> the update kernel and prior to rebooting

Okay, that should probably have read "... if you use the LILO boot
loader".

> Per Olaf's announcement    "The grub bootloader does not require any further actions to be performed
> after the new kernel images have been moved in place by the rpm Update
> command."

Right. grub users don't need to worry about telling the boot loader where
to find the kernel image, because grub loads it by going through the
file system layer (lilo goes to the block layer directly).

> I did NOT issue the "rpm update"  (I'm guessing Yast2 did that).      Do I
> have to issue the command or am I at the reboot stage ?

YOU should have installed the kernel for you. You can check with "rpm -q k_deflt"
which version is currently installed.

Olaf
--
Olaf Kirch     |  Anyone who has had to work with X.509 has probably
okir@xxxxxxx   |  experienced what can best be described as