RE: [suse-security] Hänger des ssh bei 8.1

Stephan Holl <sholl@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>Dear security experts,
>
>I am  running a YOU-updated suse 8.1 maschine.
>Sometimes, not reproducable at the moment, everything stops, no remote
>login via ssh anymore...
>all systems are down, put ping works fine.
>Also nmap shows the open ports just fine.
>
>The Logs don't show any helpful information. Perhaps any of you does
>have this behaviour. Perhaps my mailman-installation my be involved
>(suse-package), because "qrunner" is mostly the last shown log-entry..
>Only a reboot can fix this, which is really annoing when the sever is
>not physically reachable...
>
>Perhaps anybody could give my a hint.
>
>My system:
>suse8.1
>OpenSSH_3.4p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090607f
>mailman-2.0.13-174
>2.4.20 Kernel
>
>I do not know where tot start searching.
>
>THank you
>--
>Stephan Holl

Hi Stephen,
I am not a security expert.
However, SuSE put up yesterday a new Kernel for 8.1 distro:
See:
http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-security/2003-Dec/0061.html

It is available vi YOU, fou4s, and on SuSE bug site,
as well as most of the SuSE mirrors.

you didn't say if you are sunning the default kernel or
something fancier.

for the std kernel the new kernel is available from:
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/update/8.1/rpm/i586/k_deflt-2.4.21-151.i586.rpm

Hope this helps,
Friendly greetings,