[suse-security] Kernel Update general question

hello list

I manage some servers from german 1und1 with a special SuSE-kernel build by this company. In this kernel the VIA-RHINE-II network
card ist compiled in staticly. A binary update from SuSE would't work correctly. Therefore my question: How can I build my own
kernel based on the SuSE's newest patched kernel source. Or other questione can/should I use the newest kernel from kernel.org. What
can happen.

Thanks for any help ...

/Mario