Re: [suse-security] Kernel Update problem [SOLVED]

On 12/06/2003 12:34 AM, Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:

On 12/05/2003 07:14 PM, Markus Gaugusch wrote:

On Dec 5, Joe Morris (NTM) <Joe_Morris@xxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
after the graphical Grub screen, the black screen with
at which point the screen went
black, keyboard could not make it respond, no output on any tty,
nothing.  Any ideas?

Try to boot without vesa console (video=extended), so you can get the
error message.

Good idea.  I used vga=normal boot parameter, and I could finally see something.  This was the message.
BIOS data check successful
Uncompressing Linux...
ran out of input data
   ---System halted

I am guessing it is having a problem accessing or reading the initrd, which is on hda4, a 40M ext2 /boot partition, or the root partition, which is on /dev/md0. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate the help. I am back on k_athlon-2.4.20-100 again, until I can figure out how to get the kernel to install.

I remembered this was the first time I had updated my kernel since I had updated to 8.2 from 8.0. On 8.0, I used Lilo. I switched it to GRUB when I updated to 8.2. I had already installed the latest 8.2 kernel while in 8.0, so it didn't need updating. Anyway, since everything I found pointed to a lilo problem, I checked and cleaned out old lilo files in /boot (probably did nothing), as well as reinstalled GRUB to the mbr (via YAST's bootloader module). Then, I went in, updated the kernel again, and it booted right up without a problem. Thanks for all the suggestions.

--
Joe Morris
New Tribes Mission