Re: [suse-security] Kernel Update general question

(Sorry, in my first mail there was an ugly typing error, so I repeat:)

Am Fre, 05.12.2003, um 19:07:40 Uhr [+0100] schrieb Holger Schletz:

> The Kernel Source RPMs got updated, too. Install the SRPM, go to the
> kernel source directory (should be something like /usr/src/linux) and
> follow the instructions in the README file. To configure the kernel, a
> "make cloneconfig" should be your favorite choice.

For me this does not work - and I do not know why.

Here is, what I have done (on my SuSE 7.3). Because a former patched
kernel 2.4.18 disabled my scsi card (used for the scanner), I had
installed the patched 2.4.19 kernel of SuSE 8.1. It worked.

No I fetched and installed k_deflt-2.4.21-151.i586.rpm (the binary) of
SuSE 8.1, and it worked. (At least mostly. By the way: this made it
necessary to tell smbmount that the charcode must be unicode.)

Since I had some modules compiled manually, I have to recompile them
with the new kernel header files. So I tried to get the preconfigured
SuSE sources:

I fetched and installed kernel-source-2.4.21-151.i386.rpm
(not 2.4.18 as I had written before!)
I fetched and installed k_deflt-2.4.21-151.src.rpm

Then I looked into /usr/src - no directory linux*! Only some files added
in /usr/src/packages/SOURCES, among them linux-2.4.21.tar.bz2 (the
unpatched and not configured vanilla kernel tree, as far as I see it),
some patches.$ARCH.tar.bz2, and some *.sh without x-flag (!).

The file README.SuSE in this directory SOURCES presupposes that after
installing kernel-source.$ARCH.rpm everything should be in
/usr/src/linux, which in my case is not true.

And even after unpacking linux-2.4.21.tar.bz2 I could not "make
cloneconfig" (this option is not available).

What ist wrong? Is there a mistake in one of the kernel source packages
mentioned above?

Or is there another way to get the header files of k_deflt-2.4.21-151?

With kind regards,
Hatto von Hatzfeld