[suse-security] SuSE 8.0 system crash; strange characters in access_log

Dear people,

I'm only an amateurish part-time sysadmin, so please bear with me.

This weekend our web server (SuSE 8.0) crashed. The machine could be pinged, but did not respond to http or ssh requests.

When I came in this morning, I could not get the screen to wake up, so I had to forcibly reboot the machine.

After rebooting, I checked the logfiles (at least those that I know about) and the only one in which something strange appeared was Apaches access_log: right after the last (innocent) request before the crash must have happened, there was a string of 762 \x00 characters, and then nothing until the time I rebooted the machine this morning.

Does anyone have an idea what this could be?

Thanks,
Jan Pieter Kunst