Re: [suse-security] A question and some thanks

Hi!

> I know uptime shouldn't be the reason patches are

[...]

> anyway, whats the best youv had? Or seen at a
> place of work?

The longest uptime I've seen was with an OS/2-Server.
We had to upgrade it and noticed it running with
OS/2 2.0 -- us expecting OS/2 Warp 3.0. This was
running for seven years without being rebooted!

While testing if we could even boot this machine
after powering off, we found the FD inoperable:
too much dust inside. All harddrives where seven
years old too. But nothing broken! After cleaning
the whole thing. We could install the new
OS/2 Warp 4 --- but the fantastic uptime was gone. ;-(

The longest uptime with Linux (SuSE 7.3) had my
domino server: a few more than 400 days before
upgrading to SuSE 9.0.

For FreeBSD I have a test system running for about
two years now.

But uptime does not tell about how long systems
weren't powered off. Looking at power on state,
I have systems running for more than 8 years now
(kerberos server -- Pentium 60, 32 MByte RAM,
2,1 GByte HD). Various upgrades in between. OS-
Uptime is often not more than 200 days...

--
Thomas