Re: [suse-security] kernel do_mremap local privilege escalation vulnerability

Anthony Edwards wrote:

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 07:48:03PM +0100, Olaf Kirch wrote:
On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 08:34:22PM +0200, Radu Voicu wrote:
"Yes, SuSE kernels are vulnerable to this one"
"No, we don't know when the patch will be available"

Am I assuming right? :))
No, the second answer is indeed "now". FTP servers should be
in the process of syncing them from our staging server.

There is something rather odd about this update.  I have attempted
several times to update the system automatically this evening via YOU,
however despite:

anthony@catfish:~> rpm -qf /boot/vmlinuz
k_deflt-2.4.20-101

YOU repeatedly attempts to download and install k_athlon.  Obviously,
since this is not what I want (the system is a Pentium III 550Mhz),
I have aborted this update before completion in each case.
I think if you check the details it is downloaded i386 but the short description in YOU looks like athlon. ?

Regards,
  Dave.