Re: [suse-security] 2.4.21-168 kernel RPM's vs. 2.4.21-169 sources

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 10:26:15PM +0100, Philippe Vogel wrote:
> Another strange thing:
>
> 8.1 = kernel-2.4.21
> 8.2 = kernel-2.4.20
>
> Is there newer developement on 8.1 than on 8.2?

When doing configuration management for multiple release branches it is
sometimes better to fix an old release and sometimes better to replace the old
release with a later one where the fix can be applied in a more simple way.
Both have their advantages and disadvantages, the release managers have to
decide in that situation.  Because of that it can happen that sometimes older
distribution versions have later versions of some part than newer ones.  This
is quite normal in software release management.

I can't tell you what the reason for 8.1 was to change to a 2.4.21 kernel.
But I assume the people that decided to do this change actually had a reason
doing so.

Robert

--
Robert Schiele			Tel.: +49-621-181-2517