Re: [suse-security] SuSE 8.1 hacked?

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Manuel Balderrábano wrote:

> Hi again.
> I just re-installed a SuSE 8.1 and included all patches and updates avaliable,
> I will now re-install all old services and its contents one by one;I hope
> nothing else than the system was compromised!
>
> I guess my mistake was not having all patches aplied, but my serious doubt is:
> I had a 2.4.23 kernel, so how could the intruder become root after the
> breakthrough? It is supposed to be the last 2.4 kernel avaliable, could have
> he used another exploit?
>
> Thanks to all for the interest.
>
> El Miércoles, 7 de Enero de 2004 12:32, Manuel Balderrábano escribió:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I just got some services (mysql, postfix, cvs...) shut down, took a look at
> > /tmp, and found a miro.tgz and a "miro" executable.
> >
> > On the executable you can read:
> >
> > .-= Backdoor made by Mironov =-.
> > .-= Running =-.

It's unlikely that the kernel was exploited. proftpd recently had a well
published root exploit that lots of people were victimized by. If you're
going to run a server, you must understand that the server will be a
target almost from the moment it's exposed to the internet.

1) Do not run services you don't need

2) Do not allow root to login remotely

3) Do not give accounts to anyone unless you trust them

4) Do run tripwire and a rootkit detector

5) DO use a firewall

6) DO follow the advice of the bearded, belted and supendered gurus here

--
-linux_lad

> > I don't know how much this attack may have compromised the system.
> >
> > Under /var/log/ there are no clues on how they may have entered,
> > /var/log/messages has been deleted.
> >
> > Directories like /tmp or /var have changed permissions since the attack to
> 700
> >
> > Now ssh works really slow unless connected to Internet, and I feel very
> > unconfortable about connecting this server again to the Internet.
> >
> > The systen is a SuSE 8.1, I had it a little forgotten lately, tough.
> >
> > Doesn anybody know anything about how they may have entered the system and
> how
> > can I arrange it? I'm seriously thinking about installing a SuSE 9.0, but
> > want to know what happened before doing anything.
> >
> > Thaks in advance.
> >

> > --

-linux_lad
ICQ 115601915