Re: [suse-security] Advice Please - Extending a Network

On Friday 09 January 2004 23:07, Philip B Cook wrote:
> I have an existing local network connected using 'old' ethernet nics and
> coax cabling. It is connected via a Linux 8.2 machine to the internet on a
> Broadband Cable Modem.
>
> The Linux machine is a gateway and runs DHCP, DNS, Squid, SuSEFirewall2,
> Samba to provide services to the network.
>
> I want to progressively migrate the local connections to 100 Mb/s Twisted
> Pair, so during the transition I shall have a third nic in the machine with
> some hosts on the coax and some on the RJ45/100 Mb/s
>
> How do I configure the services to support the additional local network,
> with minimum disruption to the existing (unmigrated hosts).
>
> The Linux machine has a fixed IP address in the local net (192.168.0.101)
> and allocates IP addresses in the range 192.168.0.102-199.
>
> I want all the hosts to continue to 'see' one another during the
> transition.  Can I uses similar addresses on the new subnet (e.g. set the
> nic as 192.168.0.201 and assign addresses 192.168.0.202-299) or do I need
> to use a new subnet (e.g 192.168.1.xxx)
>
> Many thanks for specific advice or some pointers to where to find the
> answers.
>
> Philip

Don't add another nic, It complicates matters beyond need.

Replace your existing server nic with a 10/100 nic, any one will do,
intel works nice, as do most of the $10 nics.

Go down to the computer store and find a  SMALL (5port) 10/100 switch
(or hub).  If lucky, you will find one with a cat5 port as well as a coax
port.  Connect coax to it, and plug your server into one of the cat
5 ports, or any combination of that which works.

Remember, all you want this cheap hub/switch for is its coax port.
So if you can't find one, buy one without a coax port and offer it in
trade to anyone who has an older hub which almost always had
coax ports.

Since you will be buying a big switch to handle the whole house
anyway, make sure its 10/100 autosensing, and you can
plug any old 10meg hub into it to carry the load till you
cut over.

Don't add another nic, its just more routeing problems than
you need.