Re: [suse-security] Advice Please - Extending a Network

On Saturday 10 January 2004 05:56, Tobias Weisserth wrote:
> An additional hint: buy a nic that takes away stress from the CPU.
> Cheaper NICs leave much work to the CPU, like those Realtek chipsets.
> This is not a problem with fast CPUs but you'll notice the difference on
> weaker machines, like the battered Pentiums that route my network. A
> 3COM or Intel is usually a good choice.

This is often mentioned, but never documented.
As far as I know, no one anywhere has ever posted any
quantative results of side by side tests.  I stand ready
to be corrected, but this is, IMHO, hogwash.

The cpuload is simply not measurable in anything
above a 486.