Re: [suse-security] Advice Please - Extending a Network

Hi John,

Am Son, den 11.01.2004 schrieb John Andersen um 01:43:
> On Saturday 10 January 2004 05:56, Tobias Weisserth wrote:
> > An additional hint: buy a nic that takes away stress from the CPU.
> > Cheaper NICs leave much work to the CPU, like those Realtek chipsets.
> > This is not a problem with fast CPUs but you'll notice the difference on
> > weaker machines, like the battered Pentiums that route my network. A
> > 3COM or Intel is usually a good choice.
>
> This is often mentioned, but never documented.
>
> As far as I know, no one anywhere has ever posted any
> quantative results of side by side tests.  I stand ready
> to be corrected, but this is, IMHO, hogwash.

> The cpuload is simply not measurable in anything
> above a 486.

I noticed a very high CPU load while copying using the Samba protocol.
The Samba subprocess took almost 40% of CPU time (200MHz Pentium with
128MB). I had been using RealTek NICs. I replaced the RealTeks with
cheap 3COM cards I got from Ebay and what do you know? CPU load went
down considerably (about 15% taken by that Samba subprocess) and I have
a slightly faster connection too.

This is not an objective measurement but you may consider this as live
experience.

cheers,
Tobias