Re: [suse-security] Plaintext passwords IMAP please!

-- snipped a lot of "I tried..." and "...didn't work" --

> Really it's such a simple thing I want to do!
>
> Can anyone help?

This is really not so hard to solve. SuSE's imap-2002 package released with
8.2 and 9.0 has to
be explicitly enabled to accept plaintext passwords. Some file in the
documentation mentions that. It also warns of the risks. But if all machines
using this IMAP server are as you told us behind a firewall, this should be
OK.

It is easily done by creating a file '/etc/c-client.cf' with the following
content:

--
I accept the risk

set disable-plaintext 0
--

WIthout the '--' of course... ;-)

Note the part about the risk, they must be really paranoid about those
plaintext passwords.

Have fun,

Peter.-)