Re: [suse-security] maybe off topic, ports ftp

fair enough, and what kind of server would you recommend with sftp?
piet

Markus Gaugusch wrote:
On Jan 19, piet <prooroa@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

as for the apache server one can use port 8080 instead of 80.
Is something likewise possible for ftp (pureftp in my case) to use
something else as 20&21 say 8020&8021 or so.

I would like to ftp to my server but it shouldn't be to obvious.

Another question I struggle with how to configure ftp & apache in such a
way that I can drag and drop files by means a browser on a remote box to
upload files to the server after a login.

Since you asked on a security list, you'll get a "security" answer:
DON'T USE FTP. DON'T USE FTP. DON'T USE FTP.

Apart from being a catastrophic protocol (hard to firewall correctly), it
is not encrypted and passwords are transferred in clear text. If you want
to offer files for download, use your apache server. If you want to upload
files, use ssh/scp/sftp. There are nice drag&drop clients for sftp
available for windows (filezilla, winscp).

Markus