Re: [suse-security] Filesystem choice in secure server installation

Hi!

Am Mittwoch, 21. Januar 2004 18:26 schrieb Togan Muftuoglu:
> Hi,
>
> I was reading the SLES8_EAL2_SecurityGuide.pdf
> http://www.suse.de/de/security/eal2/SLES8_EAL2_SecurityGuide.pdf
>
> On page 8 it stated to have the "/" partion as ext3. If I remember
> correctly SuSE had ReiserFS since 6.4 and and it has been the default
> choice of filesystem for quite a time.
>
> So want I want to understand is what makes "ext3" as a better choice for
> the meeting of criteria and what are the reasons reiserfs fails.

As far as I know ext3 is much more reliable in the aspect of File and data
consistency. ReiserFS sometimes tends to losing data or attributes, which can
be fatal in a server environment.

Also the journaling of ext3 is AFAIK much better.

> I do not want to start a flame war but I want to understand the facts in
> making such a decision.

Wouldnt count it as starting a flame war. Its good to know what you are doing,
so ask if you are not sure about anything. There are no stupid questions,
just stupid answers.

> Thanks and greetings from Stuttgart
> --
>
> Togan Muftuoglu
> Unofficial SuSE FAQ Maintainer		Please reply to the list;
> http://susefaq.sf.net			Please don't put me in TO/CC.
>
> 		Nisi defectum, haud refiecendum

Igor Puschner

DIV Systeme GmbH