Re: [suse-security] Filesystem choice in secure server installation

On Friday 23 January 2004 07:36, Brandon Hines wrote:
> As a side note, one reason to support Reiser is that Hans is probably
> among the most innovative open source programmer out there.  While his
> artwork much more of an acquired taste, his views on the future of file
> systems is very interesting.

This is leaving the intended scope of discussion for this list fast, but I
believe the artwork is his mothers, if I remember correctly.

On reiserfs4, I'd like to see a comparison of the reiserfs4 concepts to the
LFS work that John Ousterhout (sp?) explored in Sprite and Margo Selzer later
ported and improved in BSD. Is Hans Reiser aware of these works, and how does
he differentiate himself from that?

On reiserfs 4 and logs: reiserfs4 is essentially data=journal all the time,
but with a single write, because the Log _is_ the filesystem, as it was in
LFS. Also as in LFS, reiserfs4 seems to have a repacker process that tries to
defragment the structure of the file system when the system is otherwise idle
(so it is not actually single write, it is just that the second write is
optional, and deferred).

Kristian