Re: [suse-security] Tripwire Segmentation Fault error...

I was going to go through and respond to you point-by-point, but it seems rather
absurd.  We clearly use SuSE in different environments and for different
reasons, and that's perfectly normal.  Linux, by it's very nature, is broad.

To me, and every sysadmin I've ever met, Tripwire is a requirement for every
machine we install.  It may not be a requirement to you, but for those of us
using SuSE for business, it is.  I think just about every person on this list
will back me up.  That is why it's part of the normal SuSE distribution, right
on the DVD.  It just happens to segfault when you try and run it.

You may consider business sysadmins to be only a 1% faction of SuSE users.  I
don't know whether that's true or not.  I can only speak for myself, I bought
SuSE 9.0 Professional, which is labeled as proper for Servers and Workstations.

I'm sorry you view this as "hate" mail.  It's certainly not meant to be.  It may
have something to do with me being a rude American.  I'm used to it.

Perhaps the most aggravating factor in this is how easy it could be solved.  I'm
annoyed that it wasn't working right in the original 9.0 release, but I
understand that things always slip through, that's OK.  The solution is so
easy:  Copy the 8.2 rpm into the 9.0 update.  That way, it gets fixed
automatically through YOU and I don't have to manually bother with it for each
new machine I install.  You may not consider that the "right" way to do it, but
it works and it's several months past 9.0's release date, with no "proper"
tripwire on the horizon.  I'll take "working" over "proper" any day.

Let me reiterate:  This is not hate mail.  At worst, it is a stern rebuke from a
frustrated sysadmin.  I'm certainly not suggesting that SuSE is incompetent,
and I'm only writing this because they got so much correct that this glaring
omission is that much worse.  It's like a Porsche with a big scratch on it.  If
it was an old Chevy, nobody'd even notice.