[suse-security] ipop3d too secure?

Hello list,

after upgrading from SuSE 8.0 to 9.0 I have a problem with our POP3
server: we use simple plain text logins for the mail server (we really
do not need more security). With 8.0 this works with ipop3d out of the
box. On 8.2 login is no longer possible. I replaced the ipop3d with the
program from 8.0 and it worked fine again. Now after the upgrade to 9.0
this is not possible anymore, as the 8.0 program wants an older version
of libssl. So I am stuck here.

Want can I do to make ipop3d work again? Was has changed against the
version in 8.0? I cannot find any related information in the READMEs
etc.

Thanks for any help!

         Jürgen