RE: [suse-security] Obscuring OS

Of course it could be that he's actually a lady called Freda, running
IIS on WinNT4, and trying to disguise the fact....

Or maybe his mame _is_ Bill, and he's running Linux/Apache, but
trying to make you think he's running IIS on WinNT4...

Or even that he's a creature from the planet X running FabHTTPd
on SuperOS 6, trying to make you think he's called Bill, pretending
to be Freda pretending to be Bill?

My head hurts.

Anyway, I agree that hiding OS/webserver info won't help that much,
I remember examinging http requests of my old Netscape Enterprise
server and finding loads of IIS exploits aimed at it.

My guess is that:
1. Attacker tries to find a port 80 that responds to a port scan.
2. Attacker tries whatever tool they've downloaded from some l33t
h4ax0r on #l33t_h4x0rs.

Also - yes, social engineering works scarily well.

Tom.