Re: [suse-security] How to block MSN using SuSEfirewall2?

On Friday 20 February 2004 07:07, Michael James wrote:

> How can I turn on a block on MSN
>  so there is only 1 hour a day it works?
>
> The house server (Suse8.2 soon to be 9.0)
>  has the ADSL connection
>  and runs SuSEfirewall2, NAT, squid, DNS, etc.

Since you're running Squid already, I would suggest to solve it there. If you
didn't modify the 'Safe_ports', the port MSN chat uses (1863 if I'm not
mistaken) is in the defined ones. Remove it from this range (by splitting the
1025-65535 region in two, excluding this port) and create a new set of rules,
only allowing access to that port at a certain time of the day for your
daughter. Read up on the ACL settings of Squid. I wouldn't mess with your
firewall if you have Squid running already (if you need to solve things like
this in your firewall, what's the point of using proxies then...)

Best regards,
Arjen