Re: [suse-security] offtopic: startup item / daemon / chron

Hi !

> This is a newb question. I've found it hard to phrase appropriate
> queries about it for web / usenet searches and hope someone can set
> me straight.
>
> I want to create an action on bootup that starts our site search
> engine. They tell you how to get it running as a daemon from the
> shell and I am stuck on how to get this to happen everytime the
> machine boots.

--> If the daemon does not need anything else to be up (like network),
you can put the commands into /etc/init.d/boot.local

If it needs the network or any other services, you have to create a
script in /etc/init.d
Take /etc/init.d/sshd as example and create your own script
"mystart.local" (you can choose whatever name you like). The commands
for starting need to be in the "start" branch of the case-statement.
Run "insserv mystart.local" as root to include it in the start-up
order.

Commands to stop the daemon can be put into "halt.local" or into the
"stop" branch of the case-statement in "mystart.local".

HTH,
Armin

--
Am Hasenberg 26         office: Institut für Atmosphärenphysik
D-18209 Bad Doberan             Schloss-Straße 6