Re: [suse-security] offtopic: startup item / daemon / chron

Hi,

>> I want to create an action on bootup that starts our site search
>> engine. They tell you how to get it running as a daemon from the
>> shell and I am stuck on how to get this to happen everytime the
>> machine boots.
>
> If it needs the network or any other services, you have to create a
> script in /etc/init.d
> Take /etc/init.d/sshd as example and create your own script

You should copy /etc/init.d/skeleton to /etc/init.d/<yourservice> and
modify that
template script accordingly. If you set the dependencies right, you can
even use the
runlevel editor from yast to set up the boot links correctly.

hth
Jörn