Re: [suse-security] Can a Suse box be a proxy gateway and a DNS server at the same time??

On Tuesday 24 February 2004 18:33, Joao M.C. Alvega wrote:
> Hello, i'm having some problems.
> Does anyone know if it's possible to make a Bind to work in the same
> machine as Squid? If so could anyone explain me how?
> Here bind will work as a DNS Server(master) and not a cache.
>
> thank you very munch for any help tha may come!

I have BIND9 and squid (transparent proxy) both working on my firewall server
running SuSE 9.0 Professional.

The problem I found was getting the DNS to work to the internet through the
SuSEfirewall2. The firewall was blocking packets from the internet on port
53.

For details see this months archive for "[SLEL] SLP9 - DNS on FW with MASQ".

--
Best Regards

David Barnes