RE: [suse-security] fou4s, SuSE 9.0 and recent kernel update

Bjorn Tore Sund wrote on  5/4/2004 4:15:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time:

> Hi people,
>
> I'm sufficiently confused that I have to ask for assistance.
>
> Tonight's kernel upgrade using fou4s went fine on SuSE 8.2
> and SLES 8.

 *** Congradulations as the old song said"
  "Two out of three ain't bad." ***

> On SuSE 9.0 it didn't happen,
> fou4s simply doesn't see the upgrade.
>
> Working directly towards ftp.suse.com or ftp.gwdg.de works.
> Mirroring either to my local server using wget --mirror
> gets me the packages and the patches/kernel-51366 file -
> but trying to use fou4s towards that mirror
> the 9.0-box simply fails to see that there's a kernel upgrade there.
>
> The mirror has worked in the past for all other patches,
> including kernel patches.
>
> Any advice?

Yeah, try another mirror or wait.
The servers are overloaded.

Partly because not all the mirrors have the kernel updates yet.

If you don't want to wait,
what I do with fou4s is run it in interactive mode.
That is:

   "fou4s -i --interactive"

I also open up:
file:/var/cache/fou4s/packages/ftp.suse.com/i386/update/8.2/rpm/i586
so I can watch the "rpm" download  onto my box.

I have also reconfigured fou4s so as it downloads it give
me a progress bar... (see /etc/fou4s.conf)

but tonite, as I said, I think everybody is trying
to update their kernels the servers are just overloaded.

At least that's my take.

Hoe this helps,
Gar

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.