RE: [suse-security] Memo on Windows

It's a pity this article is so hopelessly outdated as to be laughed out of
any serious discussion. If you're going to try to convince someone that Unix
is better than NT, fine. But if you're going to try and compete with WinXP,
you'd be better off finding an article written with that in mind.

Also, don't assume that Windows servers are always more secure than Linux
ones. One _can_ secure a Windows server, if it's really worth the effort,
and equally, one can run a Linux server in a sloppy and insecure manner. It
depends who's running it really. Look around and see how many people are
complaining they've been broken into due to running some dodgy PHP
library... how elite ;-) (Yes, I know how many people run Windows badly, and
how this has been the default for too too long, you needn't tell me about
*that*!)

Enough wingeing, apologies.

I'm all in favour of trying to get people to run Linux, because I really
believe it can be the best answer (in many cases), but let's find some good
arguments. My first step would be to find some people who stand to make some
money out of this, such as SuSe, RedHat etc. For starters, their sites might
be written in a more "corporate friendly" manner!

SuSE Security:
* http://www.suse.com/de/security/general/index.html

If the client's _serious_ about security:
* http://www.suse.com/en/company/press/press_releases/archive04/eal3.html
* http://www.redhat.com/about/presscenter/2004/press_security.html

Some links on the RedHat site:
http://www.redhat.com/solutions/business/security/
(Sadly you need to register to read the whitepapers...)

Hope this helps,

Tom.