From: Armin Schoech [mailto:armin.schoech@xxxxxx]
Sent: 10 May 2004 14:32
To: suse-security@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [suse-security] "What manual page do you want?" message
when using ssh

Hi !

> when I type ssh root@hostname from one of the nodes the following
> lines are seen,
> Success
> What manual page do you want?
> Connection to hostname closed.
>
> The first line is fine, however I do not understand what the second
> line is about...?

--> The second line is probably caused by a misconfigured call to the
"man" command. I had this problem when installing the Intel Fortran
compiler IFC and executing the script
/opt/intel/compiler70/ia32/bin/ifcvars.sh
in the ~/.bashrc file.

Change the line
MANPATH="/opt/intel/compiler70/man":$(man -w); export MANPATH
MANPATH="/opt/intel/compiler70/man"; export MANPATH

and it will work without the line you get above. If it's not IFC, it's
probably some other start-up script that has the "man -w"
command which causes the error message.

HTH,
Armin

--
Am Hasenberg 26         office: Institut für Atmosphärenphysik
D-18209 Bad Doberan             Schloss-Straße 6